Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

We're having a whizz-bang Mother's Day here in the Toth household.  Baby boy decided a few nights ago that he no longer enjoys sleeping through the night.  And the wife might have the flu!  So I'm exhausted and she doesn't want to risk holding baby boy until her fever's gone.  We were supposed to go to 8:30 Mass, work in the nursery at the 10 am Mass, then head out to the beach with some friends.  We haven't done any of those things this morning.

Instead, I hung out with baby boy while the wife slept.  Then we gave her her Mother's Day gift and made her breakfast.
The frame Baby Boy made for Mommy
Eggo Waffles with applesauce.  I had planned on making Snoopy pancakes-which we haven't had in months.  So far, this Mother's Day is not going as planned.

As I sat in the living room drinking coffee and wishing I could be asleep, I caught sight of Mary, who has been gracing us with her presence in the living room for four or five days now.


This statue of Mary sat in the front yard of the house I lived in from the time I was eight until I was eighteen.  When the Wife and I bought our house, my mother decided to give Mary to us.  She was very faded and worn, so my mother decided to give her a fresh coat of paint.  She's almost done and ready to move into her place in our flower bed outside our front door.  

Seeing Mary in our living room this morning reminded me of all of the wonderful mothers I know.  Mothers who give all they have for their children.  Mothers who love their children more than they love themselves.  Mothers who sacrifice so much to keep their children happy and healthy.  

I am grateful to have a mother who has done this for me.  As I grew up, I never doubted my mother's love for me.

I am grateful that my Baby Boy has a wonderful mother.  She went from being single, to being married, to being a mom in less than a year!  She is a total rockstar.  Not only does she take care of me (and I can be kind of high maintenance), but she takes such good care of this little guy:

Look how happy he is!
So to all the mothers out there-Happy Mother's Day!  Take some time for you today-you deserve it!  Thank you for all that you do!  You are so important to your little ones and to society as a whole!  Where would we be without our mothers?

Lord,
thank you for all mothers.  Thank you for my mother and for my wife.  Thank you for all the women in my life who have shown me Your love. Please bless all mothers today and always.  In a special way, bless those mothers who have particularly difficult struggles in their lives and all expectant mothers.  Mother Mary, pray for us now and always as we strive to imitate your sacrificial love.
Amen 



1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yes Gus sure does look happy!
Love the statue! Great mothers day gift!! Lucky Susan
Hope you are feeling better tonight.
You will have to do Mothers Day II next week when you are feeling better.
I figure God gave every child 2 parents so there would always be one there to care for them. Daddy you did a good job!!